Saturday 4 June 2011

How to start meaningful work now?

I%26#039;m a teen girl (still in high school) and feel... unfulfilled. I know, I know, I%26#039;m %26#039;too young for that%26#039; or whatever, but that doesn%26#039;t change the fact that that%26#039;s how I feel.





I%26#039;m looking for a job. I want to start doing something now- start contributing to the world now- in whatever way I can, as small as it may be. I%26#039;ve been searching the web for a while but seem to be unable to find what I%26#039;m looking for.





What I am looking for is a group (probably a non-profit organisation) that offers web-based opportunities for young people to work for them. I would be willing to work in news, content, editing, digital art, writing a column or blog, behind the scenes logistics, or any other post they would have me fill. I%26#039;m not looking for pay. All I want to do is to have an impact now.





I believe I could offer a competitive resume to any organisation.





Gosh, I bet I come across as cold and humourless and as a dried-up little teenage snot that doesn%26#039;t realise she%26#039;s in her glory days and should live it up and have fun while she can. Believe me, I have my fun, but this would be almost even more fun to me. The job obviously can%26#039;t be full-time but should be flexible and possibly project-based. I%26#039;ve still got school and life with friends and extracurriculars (okay, just the school play and JSA and the newspaper), too, but am willing to work hard.





Thank you so much for any help. I%26#039;m not as much of a prick as I seem. In reality, I%26#039;m actually a rather odd, sarcastic person with a black belt. So you%26#039;d better not give me cheek, or watch out. I%26#039;m like a ninja in the night.





Bad joke. Extremely bad joke. I%26#039;m fishing to seem normal. Desperately.





Thanks again! Big thanks!|||Go to http://www.idealist.org and check to see which nonprofits are seeking volunteers in your area. Some may be willing to take you on in the capacity you seek; however, volunteers that are desired by organizations are those that put their hands to work where they are needed. If you are willing to do what is necessary for the organization to make a difference and not just want you want to do, you will find meaningful work easily.